A failure :(

Last night I sat down to finish up the wings! I thought I had read enough tutorials online, I had gathered all the materials and was more than ready! 

Yeah! Sure! 

First, when I went to buy the film (again!! cause I had already bought the wrong one) I was staring at them at the store and had to open a little bit of the package in one to take a peek of the color of it. 

Of all tutorials I’ve read people forgot to mention the color. 

Yeah! Because in my ignorance I thought that iridescent meant this nice effect on a clear film. 

WRONG! 

Iridescent film has MANY colors. 

This one is called OPAL! 

So I got the opal film and went back home all happy and ready. I set everything down. I cut a larger piece of film for the wing section because when I tried ironing a small section of film it seemed to shrink a bit. So to be safe, I cut a larger one. 

Make a sandwich: film on the bottom, wing base in the middle and film on top! 


What tutorials don’t mention either is that you should turn off the steam in your iron.

My iron is a bit of a pain. It doesn’t have a button to turn off the steam. I have to take the water off! (Quite a pain in the a$$ when I’m working with fabrics that I need to alternate steam and no steam.) 

So my first attempt, with steam on, the 2 sheets of film didn’t quite adhere to each other! 

I dumped the water and tried again! 

You know how it goes! Don’t iron straight onto the film. It will melt all over your iron! 😱

Use a piece of fabric. 


Tutorials I read also failed to mention that it will take some time. But you have to be careful. Because if you leave it for too long it will melt. 

It’s a lot of guessing game! 


Also, I thought that using 2 sheets of the film intesified the color a lot! 

In this last picture I wasn’t sure if it was the lighting in my apartment or what! But it looked way too pink for my taste! 

I kind of wondered if I should use one opal and one clear. It would probably help minimize this pink! 

But I stuck with what I had learned from the tutorials. 


Some tutorials I read people used the iron again on the edges. Some used a heat gun. 

I tried the iron and it didn’t work very well. It was taking too long. 

So I tried the heat gun. My faster but still not quite. 

Also I learned the hard way, that you have to keep the heat gun moving constantly. If it stays on the same spot on the film for too long it kind of changes the color of it, and takes the shine away.  

I didn’t photographed the end results. Because it looked awful! 😭 

I think the frame for the wings came out beautifully. Much better than I ever imagined I’d be able to do for my first time working with wires and soldering. 

So it was so frustrating to see it looking so awful with the films on 😭😭 

I’m B didn’t even want to look at it. 

So I put it away and went to sleep! 

This morning when I woke up I just tore the film off of it! It looked even worse in the morning light! 😟 

I’m going to try something different now. 

I also think I’m going to paint the frame silver. Like a shinier silver, to make stand a bit more through the film. 

I’m also going to try the opal and the clear films together. Hopefully it will look lighter and more delicate!!! 

I have a little less than 2 months now. It shouldn’t be a problem but I’ve been so lazy with costumes lately that I KNOW if I’m not careful I won’t finish it in time. 

And I still have t figured out how I’m gonna make the sword! 😳

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s